West Hills Middle School provides a positive learning environment where students have every opportunity to achieve their academic potential without regard to race, sex, or religious preference. The staff is committed to meet the intellectual, social, emotional, aesthetic, and physical needs of seventh, eight, and ninth grade students. The curriculum emphasizes basic skills and exploration experiences to help students make a satisfactory transition during the years between elementary and high school. West Hills Middle faculty members consistently work to maintain the highest levels of professionalism. Their goal is to give students an education which will have a significant and lasting effect in their lives. West Hills Middle has a School Improvement Plan that is currently being implemented to move the school forward.
We desire that:
- Students will be critical thinkers and problem solvers.
- Students will communicate effectively through reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- Students will demonstrate positive character development and responsible citizenship.
- Students will demonstrate basic knowledge and learn individual and teaming skills that support future learning.
West Hills Highlights:
- The school serves 1,408 students.
- Students attend school on a regular nine-month, 180-day calendar with the summers off. The student’s day begins at 7:50 a.m. and ends at 2:50 p.m. West Hills Middle has Fridays as Professional Learning Community Day (late start). School starts at 9:50 and ends at 2:50. Teachers collaborate as grade-level teams, and subject-area teams, in planning and preparing the very best curriculum, lessons, and projects possible for our students.
- The curriculum meets, or exceeds district and state core standards and includes a wide range of required and elective courses.
- The 61-member faculty includes a mix of veteran and new educators. All are state and federal approved and well prepared in their teaching fields. Both teachers and administrators undergo formal evaluations on a regular basis. The standards of excellence are high throughout the faculty and staff.
- A full resource team, school psychologist, counselors, and teachers are on staff to serve students with special needs.
- Selected honors classes are available to students who qualify through class performance and high scores on standardized achievement tests.
- West Hills has 6 computer-equipped labs and several mobile labs to assist students learning keyboarding, computer technology, research and writing skills.
- Students have access to a beautiful media center that is continually updated to increase the number of materials available for research and information.
- Students are expected to attend classes regularly and to comply with the school’s Code of Conduct. A computer tracking system helps monitor attendance. Staff members work closely with any student who has problems.
- Character education and excellence programs encourage students to do their best by rewarding academic achievement, good citizenship, exemplary attitudes, exceptional effort, and improvement.
- Nutritious breakfast and hot lunches are served daily.
- Most West Hills Middle School students live within walking distance and bus service is provided for any students who live two miles or more from the school.
- School volunteers are an important asset to the school. The Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) is a vital part of the West Hills community. The school has an active School Community Council. Volunteerism is encouraged.
- Visitors are always welcome and asked to stop by the office for a visitor’s pass before going to classes or moving through the building.
- Parents and students have 24-hour access to current grades and attendance with the school’s online Skyward program. We have a West Hills Middle School web site that is continually updated with information on school events, newsletters, calendars, teachers’ individual web pages, and links to faculty e-mail addresses.
- Visitors to our school frequently comment on the high standards of courtesy and respect they encounter at West Hills Middle School.
Wildcats in Hot Pursuit of . . .
. . .Engaged Learners!