This page includes the following:
- Grading Policy for 4th quarter
- Check in chrome books and pick up belongings process
- How to schedule a time slot for drop off or pick up items
- End of the Year activity schedule
If you have questions, not answered here, call the Main Office (801-412-2300).
All late work is due by June 1st. Please communicate all concerns with your teacher. The following letter grades will be issued for 4th Quarter: A, B, P (pass), or NC (no credit).
The following exceptions will be made upon student/parent request:
- All A’s and B’s will remain on 4th quarter report cards, unless a student or parent requests that it be converted to a P (pass) by June 3rd.
- C’s and D’s will automatically be converted to a P (pass) on June 3rd, unless a student or parent requests otherwise.
- HOW TO REQUEST GRADE CHANGE:
- In order to request a grade change a student/parent will need to go to the teacher’s Canvas home page and fill in the Google Form.
- The google form will not be available on teacher’s page until June 1st.
- Grades will not be changed until WEDNESDAY, June 3rd, 2020. Parents and students will have until 3:00 p.m. June 4, 2020 to contact teachers if the grade appearing in Skyward is not accurate.
Important information about P (pass) grades :
- Currently, the NCAA calculates Ps as Ds as they relate to NCAA scholarships (find updated NCAA reactions to COVID-19 here). However, the NCAA is issuing COVID – 19 Waivers. For student athletes it will be important to print off and retain this information for any future eligibility discussions. There may also be other private scholarships, that affect a small number of students, that operate in the same manner.
- Scholarships administered by The Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) (including both Regent’s and New Century) will not be affected by
- Federal financial aid guidelines are dependent on the pace of credit earning versus GPA and so will presumably be unaffected by P.
- A P (pass) does not positively or negatively impact a student’s Grade Point Average (GPA).
No failing grades (F’s) will be issued. All failing grades will automatically convert to No Credit (NC’s) at the end of the term.
- An NC (no credit) does not positively or negatively impact a student’s GPA.
- An NC means that a student did not earn credit for the class.
- Students MUST make up NC (no credit) grades in classes required for graduation (for Freshmen this would include Language Arts, World Geography, Mathematics and possibly PST and others.)
- An NC may prevent you from being eligible for fall sports and/or competitive activities at the high school.
TALK TO YOUR HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELOR ABOUT MAKING UP GRADUATION CREDIT
DROP OFF AND PICK UP PROCESS FOR CHROMEBOOKS AND OTHER ITEMS
The Check In/Check Out process will be conducted in the Cafeteria. The Cafeteria doors are located on the North side of the school. The entrance door will have further instruction and tape will be marked on the sidewalk to observe social distancing spacing.
We will be using the CONFERENCE SCHEDULER through Family Access on Skyward at http://skystu.jordan.k12.ut.us
-If you have more than one student in Jordan District Schools, select ALL STUDENTS. On the left side, click the CONFERENCES button.
-Choose ALL CONFERENCES next to the student’s name you wish to schedule a conference for.
-Click SELECT A TIME for their HOMEROOM class to schedule a conference for.
-Click SELECT by the desired appointment time.
-A window appears showing the appointment information. Click SAVE.
-The scheduled appointment shows on the ALL CONFERENCES tab.
Appointment openings are first-come, first-serve as follows:
- May 26: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- May 27: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- May 28: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- May 29: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- June 1: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- June 2: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- June 3: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- June 4: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- June 5: 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
There will be 10 openings per 15 minute block. If you cannot make these times, please call the Main Office at (801) 412-2300.
YOU ONLY NEED ONE APPOINTMENT PER FAMILY. Students and/or one parent will be allowed into the building and it is requested that, if possible, they wear a mask and practice social distancing protocol. We kindly ask that parents/guardians and other siblings who are not students at WHMS to wait outside the building.
- Please return Chromebooks, with their charging cords in the same good condition they were loaned. Damages will be accessed and payment for any damages will be expected.
- Text and library books are expected to be returned at this time also. Payment of fines for lost books will be expected. Cash or Card will be accepted. No checks
- MEMORY BOOKS are not available yet due to late shipping from the printing company. A separate Skylert will be sent to advise of their pick up date and time. We apologize for this inconvenience. Extra Memory books will be on sale at a later time on a first come first serve basis only. More information on Memory Books to come.
If your student or any member of your household are experiencing symptoms of illness, please refrain from coming to the school for any reason. Contact the Main Office for alternate arrangements. (801) 412-2300.
END OF YEAR ACTIVITIES FOR STUDENTS
|5/26||Science||Video Tour of Natural Wonder|
|5/27||FACULTY and STAFF||Teacher Talent Show|
|5/29||MATH||Cool Math Game - High Score Competition: Can you beat your teacher’s score?|
|6/1||FINE ARTS||Sidewalk Chalk Hop Scotch|
|6/2||READING||Story read by teacher|
|6/3||CTE||“How To” Demo…|
|6/4||Social Studies||Recreating pictures from History Link to presentation & examples|
As we navigate through this, we will use the following resources to update information.
Skylerts: Update your contact information on Skyward, please.
Facebook: West Hills Middle School
Website: http://westhills.jordandistrict.org (here)
CURRENT CLOSURE DATES - Our current “soft closure” dates are March 16th - June 5th. We do not know if we will be in school at the beginning of the 2020-2021.
CLASSROOMS – Our teachers and students have an opportunity to explore and participate in online learning.
- WHMS teachers will be using Canvas to teach and communicate with your students.
- Jordan District has also created a Digital Learning page with information about Canvas.
- Teacher contacts are listed here:
TECHNOLOGY - Making technology available to those who need it is an integral part of our online learning plan. During the JSD school closure students will have the option to checkout a Chromebook, for the duration of the closure. The Chromebook will allow students to complete academic tasks, collaborate more effectively, and continue their classes at home. Personal devices (home computers, laptops, smart phones) at home will also work.
- If you would like to check out a Chromebook for your student’s use, we will have them available in the morning from 8-1PM.
- Guardian signatures are required to check out Chromebooks.
- Please bring the attached contract signed to speed up the process. Click here for the contract. There will be hard copies available if you are not able to print the form.
- If you do not have WiFi at home, please check with your local WiFi/Cell-phone companies such as AT&T, Xfinity/Comcast, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. These companies have made announcements on how they may assist families. Many local businesses also provide free Wifi access.
LUNCHES – Click Here for more info.
Thank you, so much, for being supportive.
Watch local news, social media, the district and school websites, and your email and Skylert messages for current and updated information. We know that this is a significant interruption in school and our lives, but it is also a great opportunity for us to work together in exciting new ways.
We love and miss our students, and hope to see all of you again in the near future!