Band & Orchestra Information
West Hills Middle School BAND, CHOIR, and ORCHESTRA Questions and Answers
There’s a dollar sign on the registration card. How much do music classes cost?
There is no instructional fee for band or orchestra. Band and orchestra students do need an instrument which can be rented or purchased at local music stores or online. The school also rents some instruments (see below). For choir students, the voice is the instrument.
What class should I take?
For students who have little or no experience in band. Instruments include FLUTE, CLARINET, SAX, TRUMPET, FRENCH HORN, TROMBONE, BARITONE, TUBA, and PERCUSSION.
For students who have ONE YEAR of experience in band. Instruments include FLUTE, CLARINET, SAX, TRUMPET, FRENCH HORN, TROMBONE, BARITONE, TUBA, and PERCUSSION.
For students who have little or no experience in orchestra. Instruments include VIOLIN, VIOLA, CELLO, and BASS.
For students who have at least one year of experience in orchestra. Instruments include VIOLIN, VIOLA, CELLO, and BASS.
What if I don't have an instrument?
Music stores have rent-to-own programs that cost between $20 and $60 per month, depending on the instrument. West Hills has several different instruments available, including: Flute, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Sax, Baritone Sax, French Horns, Baritone Horns, Trombones, Tubas, Violas, Cellos, String Bass, and Percussion (drums.) The Jordan District rental fee is $80 per year, and can be paid in installments. Fees are waived for students with free lunch.
What about guitar?
Guitar is offered in the 8th and 9th grade.
What are the best reasons to take band, choir, or orchestra?
- Making music is fun. Making music well is AWESOME!
- West Hills Middle School musicians make lifelong friends.
- Musicianship connects students to the culture of our civilization through positive self expression.
- University music departments give students scholarships, ranging from 1/4 to full tuition.
- Music makes you smarter. Students who learn music score higher on math, language and a science tests. Every additional year of music study raises lifetime test scores.
- Learning music provides genuine self esteem based on work related achievement.
- Music at West Hills has a wonderful tradition of talented performance.
- West Hills is the “Best Hills.”